Monday, September 21, 2009

A fun Meme!!!

I got this fun Meme from Bloggin' 'bout Books, and she said "Just answer the meme, already!" Since I always do what I'm told...

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback? I usually prefer hardback books. I don't know - there is just something about them. I love the weight of them, and how they lie open on the table...wow, that's sounding a little wrong, isn't it?! I don't mind trade paperbacks, but I definitely prefer hardbacks or trade paperbacks to mass market paperbacks.

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon? Wanna know the truth? I honestly don't buy many books for myself. I tend to check them out from the library, or (I am SOOOO LUCKY!!!!) authors and publishers contact me about doing reviews, and I get them sent to me in the mail. If I buy books for gifts, though, I tend to shop at Borders.

Bookmark or dog-ear? Do people still dog-ear?!?! Oh, that makes me sad. I use a bookmark. Or a receipt. Or a torn off piece of paper. Or, on one very sad occasion, a toothpick (it was unused, I swear). I have a zillion bookmarks, but can't ever seem to find one when I need it - ha!

Amazon or brick-and-mortar? Like I said, I don't usually buy books for myself often. I would much rather go into a store and browse around than shop online, though.

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random? The books that I do have are arranged alphabetically by author's last name. I also have a couple of non fiction books, and since I am fairly familiar with the Dewey Decimal system, those books are shelved loosely based on that. A true librarian, huh?

Keep, throw away, or sell? Please, please, PLEASE tell me that no one actually throws away books!!!! That's SOOOO WRONG!!!!! I have donated books to the library before, and I have also taken them to a used book store to sell. Either way, someone else gets to enjoy them!! Throw away!?!?! *shudder*

Keep dust jacket or toss it? I have taken the dust jacket off to read certain books (I always remove the dust jacket when I re-read my Harry Potter series!), but mostly they stay on the book at all time. Toss them, seriously!?!?!!?

Short story or novel? I'm not against short stories, but I tend to read more novels.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? I Love Lemony Snicket, but I have to say that Harry Potter wins this battle.

Buy or borrow? I am definitely a library user. I don't own too many books of my own.

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse? Before, I would mostly read books because I was familiar with the author. Now, I read a lot of book reviews from other fabulous book bloggers, and I have read some that have been recommended by friends. A lot of what I have read lately have just fallen into my lap from authors and publishers who ask me to review their books. That has been so awesome, because I have read a lot of amazing things that I probably wouldn't have given a second glance.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger? If the story kept me guessing, kept me involved, and kept me wanting to turn the pages, then I'm happy. I love a good happy ending, but I love a good cliffhanger!

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading? Ahh, there is no BEST time to read. I love to read in the quiet of the morning before my husband wakes up. I love to read outside in the heat of the afternoon, and I love sitting in my favorite chair at night all snuggled up in a blanket. It really doesn't matter what time of day it is!!

Stand-alone or series? Either is great with me!!

Favorite series? Harry Potter, Janet Evanovich's Numbers series, James Patterson's Alex Cross series and Women's Murder Club series, Twilight.

Favorite children’s book? Wow, there are SO many!!! Anything by Kevin Henkes (especially Chrisanthemum), Little Pea by Amy Rosenthal, anything by Audrey and and Don Wood (Silly Sally, The Napping House, Piggies), Where the Wild Thigns Are by Maurice Sendak, Recess Queen by Alexis O'Neill, Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls... Seriously, do you want me to go on?

Favorite YA book? The Twilight series.

Favorite books read last year? The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski, The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Favorite books of all time? Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell, The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old? Harry Potter for sure. Also, I LOVED the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series!!

Favorite book to re-read? I'd have to say the Harry Potter series. I've probably re-read each of those 10 times!

Do you ever smell books? Of course!! I love the smell of books!!

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries? I haven't read anything like that yet, but I would!!

What are you reading right now? I just started a book called Legacy by Cayla Kluver. I'm not very far into it, but so far, I am intrigued!!

What are you reading next? I have a couple books for review that are on their way to me as we speak, so I am not quite sure what I'll pick up next!!!

FUN Meme!!!! Now, it's YOUR turn!!!!!!!

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm with you - I hope no one ever throws a book away!

George said...

Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback? Weird thing for me here. In truth I really don’t care all that much and I have a lot of all three. When I was a kid I ALWAYS had a paperback book in my pocket. Then, when I “grew up” and started really building my library I insisted on hardback. Now I find myself being drawn to old, semi-worn paperback whenever possible. Reaching back to my youth?

Waterstones, Borders or Amazon? Yup!!

Bookmark or dog-ear? Ok, another weird thing about me and books: If the book belongs to someone else, whatever piece of paper I find becomes the bookmark. If it’s a library book – the date card. If it’s MY book – and here’s the weird part – I dog-ear. The creased corners, for me, are as sentimental in a great book as my margin notes!

Amazon or brick-and-mortar? IF, and that’s a very big if, I buy a book anymore then I much prefer brick and mortar, and the fewer new books they have – the better!

Alphabetize by author, or alphabetize by title, or random? Arranged aesthetically around the house.

Keep, throw away, or sell? I keep very few these days, donate many to the library for their fundraising sales, and try to pass along those that I can recommend to friends.

Keep dust jacket or toss it? Keep and use, hoping it will show the wear of having been read. I am not, nor will I ever be famous enough that anyone will ever purchase my library at my estate sale when I am gone so they can charge admission to my museum. In all likelihood some used book store dude looking for a deal, will get the whole lot from my son, who will sell it for $100 or so! In which case, some middle ager will look through the store, find one of my books, see that the dust jacket is worn, there are notes in the margins and some of the pages have weird creases in the corners, and that person may think to themselves, “Someone really liked this book, I wonder who this George guy was…” Thus – my immortality! (OR, it’ll look so bad and worn, some shop-keeper will chuck it!)

Short story or novel? Either. Both.

Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? I really know nothing of either, I just haven’t gotten to them yet!

Buy or borrow? 5 years of library, followed by 38 years of buying, followed by the rediscovery of the library!

Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations, or browse? A little of all three, but lately I have been picking up a lot of books from recommendations on blogs, especially Confessions.

Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Sometimes I wish a book would have cleaned things up in the end, sometimes I wish they would have quit at an earlier point!

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or nighttime reading? I travel (which is analogous to waiting) a lot, so I find myself reading at odd times in odd places, but my best reading is an hour or two once in bed.

Stand-alone or series? Either is great with me!!

Favorite series? LeCarre’s Smalley series.

Favorite children’s book? Here I go showing my age again, but Charlotte’s Web and the Hardy Boys.

Favorite YA book? The Catcher In the Rye

Favorite books read last year? The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri, Martin Dressler by Steven Millhauser, and The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson.

Favorite books of all time? A Lesson before Dying by Ernest Gaines, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, The Haunted House by Charles Dickens

Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old? It’s been sooooo long – I don’t know!

Favorite book to re-read? The Collected Sherlock Holmes

Do you ever smell books? Of course!! I love the smell of books!! – I ditto this!!

Do you ever read primary source documents like letters or diaries? Sir Walter Raleigh, and Thomas Jefferson’s letters were great reads!!

What are you reading right now? City of Thieves by David Banioff – great start!! Orley Farm by Anthony Trollope – wow!

What are you reading next? I have a huge list, and when I get to the library I spend (often quite some) time figuring that out!

Alexis said...

What fun this was to read! And to top it off, how thrilled I was to see that you mentioned my book, The Recess Queen, as one of your children's book faves. I have books all over my house. I've tried to place them in some kind of order, but they keep spilling over (maybe they just want to visit each other when I'm not looking!) Good luck to you on your library career. Looks like you're off to a joyful start.

Miss Lynn said...

Little Pea! Little Pea! :)